700 complimentary health professional packs including an introduction to the Week, examples of resources that could be ordered and a sample press release, were distributed at the end of 2006 throughout the whole of the UK. Packs were sent to health professionals (including dietitians, nutritionists and health promotion units) who work in hospitals, GP surgeries, health charities, educational institutions, the food industry and government organisations. A further 600 GP surgeries also received posters and leaflets to display in their surgery.
We had fantastic support from health professionals around the country. Below are some examples of supporting events that took place around the country and how health professionals utilised the resources during the Week:
Rebecca Stanners, Community Dietitian, County Hospital , Hereford
"We had a discussion about the salt content of manufactured foods with members of the public. a journalist from BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester recorded a piece to be broadcast later."
"Thank you for your useful information pack - it inspired me to contact the local radio station and record a piece [to be broadcast at a later date]."
Lynne Donovan, Dietitian, Cleethorpes
"a display of leaflets and handouts at two large medical centres"
Lynne also wrote an article which featured in the Grimsby Evening Telegraph.
Great Yarmouth Community Dietitian Team
"A salt awareness stand will be displayed providing information, statistics and practical advice for the public around the Great Yarmouth area."
Durham County Council's Trading Standards Service
"is putting displays in libraries throughout the county as part of National Salt Awareness Week organised by Consensus Action on Salt and Health (CASH)."
Kris Mason, Dietetic Assistant, Whitson Hospital , Merseyside
Knowsley PCT acute and community dietitians will be holding an interactive health promotion event in Whitson Hospital to involve staff, patients and visitors. This will include the provision of information and leaflets and interactive activities e.g. high salt vs low salt tasting sessions. Dietitians will be on hand all day to give individual information and advice. The display will include posters, leaflets, test tubes (to show actual salt content of food items), tasters and products that can be used as alternatives to salt."
Hilary Davis, Derby City PCT NHS
"The event will take place at the Health and Well Being Centre from Jan 29 th to Feb 4 th starting at 10am - 5pm and one late night 5-8pm. The local library will also be involved. Display board and table with a variety of resource materials e.g. salt games and a quiz for parents and children.
Laura Robertson, Cardiac CNS Office, Royal Free Hospital
"Cardiovascular specialist nurses, doctors and dietitians will have a stall outside the coffee shop handing out relevant leaflets and offering blood pressure testing."
Food Team Leader, David Pickering, Buckinghamshire Trading Standards
"To coincide with National Salt Awareness Week Trading Standards officers will be on hand at the Healthy Living Centre, Walton Court, Aylesbury on Tuesday 30 th January and Friars Square Shopping Centre, Aylesbury on Wednesday 31 st January to offer advice and information about how much salt is in food and what to look for on labels to give you the information you need to make an informed choice. There will also be a display at the Chiltern District Council offices in Amersham."
Organisations which requested resources to support Salt Awareness Week
- Ashford & St Peters Hospital NHS Trust, St Peters Hospital , Surrey
- Beechwood Park School , St Albans , Hertfordshire
- Blaenau Gwent Local Health Board, Abertillery
- BMI Healthcare, Kings Oak Hospital , Middlesex
- Bournemouth and Poole PCT, Parkstone Health Centre, Bournemouth
- Braid Valley Hospital , Ballymena
- Bridgend Pupil Referral Unit, Bridgend
- Brighton & Hove Community Cookery Project, Moulsecoomb Children's Centre, Mouslecoomb
- Bristol City Council, Bristol ,
- Bristol PCT, Charlotte Keel Healthcentre, Easton
- Bristol PCT, KRIF, Health Promotion, Bristol
- Bromley PCT , London Lane Clinic , Kent
- Brunswick Healthy Living Centre, Leamington Spa
- Buckinghamshire Trading Standards,
- Burton Hospitals NHS Trust, Queen's Hospital, Staffordshire
- Camden Detached Project, The Medburn Centre, London
- Central Lancashire PCT, Ormskirk & District General Hospital , Lancashire
- Ceredigion and Mid Wales NHS Trust, Bronglais General Hospital , Aberystwyth
- City and Hackney Teaching Trust, Statham Grove Surgery, London
- Coleg Gwent, Usk
- Denby Pottery, Denby Visitor Centre, Denby
- Derby City PCT, Derby
- Durham Trading Standards, Durham
- Earlham Medical Centre, Manchester
- East Riding of Yorkshire PCT, Health House, Hull
- Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
- Great Yarmouth and Waveney PCT, Great Yarmouth Community Dietician Team, Great Yarmouth
- Harlington Young People's Centre, Hayes
- Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust, Hinchingbrooke Main Stores , Huntingdon
- Hinchingbrooke Hospital , Huntingdon
- Leith 's at The British Library, 96 Euston Road , London
- Mid-Ulster Hospital , Magherafelt
- Milton Keynes PCT, Wolverton Health Centre, Milton Keynes
- National Public Health Service for Wales , Temple of Peace and Health, Cathays Park
- North Cheshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Warrington Hospital , Warrington
- North Staffordshire PCT, Browning Street Surgery, Stafford
- Papworth Hospital NHS Trust, Dept Nutrition and Dietetics, Cambridge
- Poole Hospital NHS Trust, Dietitian's Office, Poole
- Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust, Royal Free Hospital, London
- Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Trust, Leatherhead Community Hospital , Leatherhead
- Sefton PCT, Poulton Road Clinic, Southport , Merseyside
- St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust, Birch House Whiston Hospital , Prescott , Merseyside
- St Woolos Hospital , Newport
- Starting Point, Merseyside
- Surrey PCT, The Longcroft Clinic, Surrey
- The Russell Institute, Paisley
- Trading Standards, Aylesbury
- Trading Standards, Warwick
- Ultimate Woman, Middleton
- Wakefield District PCT, Public Health Department, Wakefield
- West Dorset General Hospitals NHS Trust, Dorset County Hospital , Dorchester
- West Essex PCT, Essex
- West Hertfordshire PCT, St Peter's House,
- West Hertfordshire PCT, Information Centre, Watford
- West Sussex PCT, West Sussex
- Western Cheshire PCT, The Laurel Bank Surgery, Malpas